[time-nuts] RFX GPSDO - Anybody played with one of these?

Michael Tharp gxti at partiallystapled.com
Wed Oct 3 03:52:26 UTC 2012

On 10/02/2012 10:37 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
> Intriguing.. Can it handle the Doppler, etc., for a cubesat in LEO?
> (7km/s)  The total Doppler isn't usually the issue (the GPS satellites
> are moving faster, after all), but the receiver may not work for high
> velocities, high altitudes?

GPS receivers that function "above 60,000 feet altitude and at 1,000
knots velocity or greater" are classified as munitions under ITAR. This
doesn't make them illegal to possess or use as far as I know, but
exporting them from the US is troublesome so civilian receivers will
cease functioning under those conditions. Whether that's 60k feet and
1000 knots simultaneously or separately, is up for debate and probably
depends on the manufacturer's interpretation.