[time-nuts] Oscillator frequency?

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Wed Oct 3 17:28:18 UTC 2012

Hi Ken: I have two of these, and had the same problem some years ago
(see archives time-nuts). Nothing seemed to need this frequency. Fast
forward to present. I'm using an ICOM 260A 2m all-mode xceiver for if in
a 13 cm moonbounce system. The xtal frequency for the basic synthesizer
in these units is 5.12 MHz. I played around with the idea of separate
better xtals, until one day I was cleaning out. DOH! I now have a use
for those weird OCXO's!
Soooooo... never throw anything away, and never dismay, for all weird
stuff WILL be useful someday. There's a coarse adjustment of some kind
on these units.
73, Don AJ7LL

ken johnson
> Hi, I have a tcxo that I recovered from a very old, suitcase-sized gps
> receiver some years ago. The oscillator is marked "ERC
> Eros-750-MA110", with an output frequency of 5.119155MHz. I have tried
> to think of a use for for it but failed. I played with the numbers but
> could not find anything useful, so I thought I would try the
> collective wisdom of the list to see if anyone could come up with a
> use for such an oddball frequency.
>
> As an aside, it was fascinating to see a gps in discrete components,
> lots of mixers (I recovered no less than 10, MCL ASK1 mixers and there
> are still several left on the boards) on something like 7 or 8 , 200mm
> square, gold-plated plug-in boards on a very nice card frame with
> many, many interconnecting small-diameter coaxes with gold-plated
> connectors.
>
> Pity I wasn't interested in time-nuttery at the time, it probably
> worked before I reduced it to component parts!
>
> Thanks, Ken
> www.vk7krj.com

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road