[time-nuts] 5071A Cs Oven

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Oct 4 16:45:22 UTC 2012

Bob,

Right, not good. There should be a fault message associated with it. Check the internal log.

OTOH, to conserve cesium, I've heard that some people run 5071A in standby mode most of the time and only turn on the cesium for a fraction of an hour a day or a week (to recal the quartz). Running in this standby mode is also advisable if one wants the best short-term performance out of a 5071A, without the loop noise. In this respect it's just like a GPSDO - you get the best short-term performance if you turn off disciplining.

/tvb