[time-nuts] Best counter setting for ADEV?

Azelio Boriani azelio.boriani at screen.it
Thu Oct 4 22:11:57 UTC 2012

OK, because you think: (Y-X)/100K is the drift of the two clocks for each
second over 100K seconds and for each second I have a 1nS/100K resolution.
Now think about this: repeat the measure over and over and after each 100K
seconds you have your table. This table (your counter is 1nS) can have
figures like, say, 52nS, 53nS, 58nS, that is with a 1nS step. Your drift
maybe not exactly 52: it maybe 52.1 52.3 52.4 but you only see 52. So you
are loosing an entire nS between 52nS and 53nS. If you have a 100pS counter
you can see 52.0, 52.1 and so on.