[time-nuts] Tracking NTP displacement and correlationbetweentwo clients.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Oct 5 08:46:37 UTC 2012

David,

The problem is that they start in sync and over the course of a day drift
that far apart despite having NTP running. We're not sure why NTP isn't
correcting it along the way. Though at this point, we are looking at a
firmware bug.

Thanks!
Bob
===================================

Bob,

I take it that you are booting the PC at the start of the day, and it syncs
to NTP servers at that time?  If the internal clock is off (when
undisciplined) by more than 500 ppm (43 seconds/day) NTP will not control
it.  I suggest measuring the clock error when it is not being controlled by
NTP, and then we can progress.  (Or you find the firmware problem).

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk