[time-nuts] To use or not to use transmission line splitters for GPS receivers

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 13:15:05 UTC 2012

Lots of comments. Indeed it sounds like a great discussion for pizza and
beer. The more beer the more lively. Did they bring beer?
Fact
I have used a 8 way splitter Sat/TV for 5 years now. Port to port loss is
something like 16 db or 26 db as I recall. It has dc blocking on all but 1
port built in. The loss was as advertised. The cost was pretty high at $7.
To make up for the loss I used a amplifier. A Mar circuit and only enough
gain to cover the splitter loss since the single antenna has 30db of gain
and feed 1/2" hardline. So if all of things discussed are happening its not
at all apparent from the 6 rcvrs on the system. Some old like odetics
austrons some newer like 3801s and Tbolt...Plus I never have to hunt for a
port for experimenting.
There is one catch and this can apply to all splitters some rcvrs need a dc
load so that they think they have an antenna. I think about 430 ohms. As I
say its been 5 years and it just works.
Total investment $10??
Though it doesn't say HP on it.
Regards