[time-nuts] To use or not to use transmission line splitters for GPS receivers

Tom Knox actast at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 9 17:06:43 UTC 2012

I believe it is possible for splitters to be invisible to your system. My first choice would be multiple Antennas. But if you have multiple GPS receivers and require outputs to your test bench, splitters are the logical choice. That said the splitter adds complexity to the system and exponentially multiplies your potential for problems.  I have found that equipment placement, grounding, lightning protection can all affect the signal at the receiver and contribute to problems. Although you always want sound theory the complexity of splitter set-up quickly goes beyond what is reasonable to mathematically model. It sound like you are approaching this the way I would by testing different system configurations starting with a simple antenna and coax. You have already seen the difference just antennas can make. Coax model, length, and run will also have a substantial effect.  Now is where MATS law kicks in. (More Art Then Science). When you add the splitter the best performing Ant and Coax may no longer the best combination. But applying best practices, logic,  and a few hours of trial and error and you will begin to understand your system. If over time you set up a number of systems you will start to know from experience what will work. You see this experience based knowledge in many NIST researchers and dare I say a number of Time-Nuts. I am still on the steep part of the learning curve myself. If I can only learn a little from each of my mistakes.

Thomas Knox