[time-nuts] multi time zone display for wall mounting?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 9 18:49:13 UTC 2012

On 10/9/12 10:09 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> For wall displays, I've noticed more and more people simply mounting a
> large HD TVs to the wall and driving it with a computer.  Even the
> menu board in back of Starbucks and the directory near the elevator
> that lists who is in what room on that floor.  I've seen the 9:16 TVs
> mounted vertically too.

Interestingly, I have two 42 inch monitors already up on the walls.. but
I wanted to avoid getting them too cluttered with other displays.

Also, the TV draws many watts compared to some small LED display.

> Is a TV set "turn key"?  Maybe not if you lack the staff to create the
> display graphics.  But from a hardware point of view it is

Oh.. it's trivial to throw up a time display in a window on the big
display..  We've even got a cool little java ap that does Mars time so
you can tell if your co-worker who's doing MSL ops is likely to be in
their office, or asleep at home.  For this application we are totally
earth based, though.

> That said, any high quality wall clock will work.

Actually, most high quality wall clocks don't do things like DOY. But I
know they exist, which is what I'm looking for..