[time-nuts] To use or not to use transmission line splitters for GPS receivers

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 18:50:42 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> Suppose I wanted to do an experiment with GPS receivers: Is setup A better
> than setup B?  But they share some parts, say the antenna, so I can't run
> them both at the same time.
>
> How long do I have to collect data for each setup to tell which is better?
> Is that even the right question?  I'm thinking of things like satellites in
> view changing so if I run for an hour, then switch and run for another hour
> one run could get lucky and have lots of satellites in the right place while
> the other run was unlucky.

The satellites are in 12 hour orbits.  Everything repeats every 12
hours.   But the sun is on a 24 hr. period and if you did two 12 hour
tests you don't want to do one at night and one in day.   So start
each test at the same time of day let it run for 12+ hours.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California