[time-nuts] To use or not to use… Thread Set. Thank you!

Edgardo Molina xe1xus at amsat.org
Wed Oct 10 04:00:03 UTC 2012

Dear Friends,

Thank you all for all your replies and points of view regarding this thread. I was unable to reply to you individually as I got too many answers in a very short time. StilI had the chance during the day to summarize all your information and presented what is more than representative of the fine work of this enthusiastic and knowledgeable discussion group. Time Nuts is now well known at CENAM (National Metrology Center). All of today's round table participants were pleasantly surprised by all the replies to this topic. In the end the round table discussion was way better than yesterday and for your information it was set democratically as follows:

a. The use of GPS splitters along the transmission lines is a practice avoided in high end metrology labs. They rather keep things simple and predictive. Including elements in the GPS signal chain is undesirable as they represent complex variables and as the traditional definition of it, they are outside the control of the experimenter.

b. If the characteristics of the splitters are known in deep, there is no reason why they should be avoided in general. The use of splitters is generally a matter of convenience, and as such they should be taken in account for their impact when doing precision work.

c. The decision of using splitters should be considered in a case by case basis. It is as important as deciding the quality and type of transmission line and the associated RF connectors.

d. As a side benefit, it gives food for thought for the amateur time and frequency community and their experimentation (this part was included by me as a side comment).

I toured the time and frequency labs at CENAM today. If it is appropriate,  I could upload the pictures I took to an image hosting server, showing a little bit of Mexico's time scale UTC (CNM) and the current work with Cesium fountain and frequency comb clocks. My apologies beforehand if my offer could be a little of topic and probably way off the general interest of the group. Please kindly advise.

I wish you all a nice evening and a pleasant Wednesday. Thank you!

Regards,

Edgardo Molina
Dirección IPTEL

www.iptel.net.mx

T : 55 55 55202444
M : 04455 20501854

Piensa en Bits SA de CV

Información anexa:

CONFIDENCIALIDAD DE INFORMACION

Este mensaje tiene carácter confidencial. Si usted no es el destinarario de este mensaje, le suplicamos se lo notifique al remitente mediante un correo electrónico y que borre el presente mensaje y sus anexos de su computadora sin retener una copia de los mismos. Queda estrictamente prohibido copiar este mensaje o hacer usode el para cualquier propósito o divulgar su en forma parcial o total su contenido. Gracias.

NON-DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION

This email is strictly confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please immediately advise the sender by replying to this e-mail and then deleting the message and its attachments from your computer without keeping a copy. It is strictly forbidden to copy it or use it for any purpose or disclose its contents to any third party. Thank you.