[time-nuts] 57600 baud rate with Basic etc

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Wed Oct 10 18:14:24 UTC 2012

Commodore computers in the longago dimdark past serialized the GPIB.
They started out with the GPIB as the disk drive and printer interface
from the get-go. I used a Commodore as a cheap controller when Hp GPIB
controllers cost a small fortune.
Don

David
> What aspects of USB would HP have used?  Just the complexity of a USB
> OHCI/UHCI would have been economically prohibitive compared to an
> asynchronous serial UART.  An OHCI/UHCI is more like an ethernet
> controller and those took up the space of entire expansion boards
> initially.
>
> What they did come up with was HP-IB although I would have preferred
> it to be serial and galvanically isolated.
>
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:28:46 -0400, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have never figured out why HP did not develop USB in 1969? Not very
>> far
>>sighted. ;-)
>>Regards
>>Paul
>>WB8TSL

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road