[time-nuts] 57600 baud rate with Basic etc

David davidwhess at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 00:36:12 UTC 2012

I design in asynchronous serial for diagnostics all of the time.  It
is easy to galvanically isolate if necessary, is easy to debug, uses
the fewest pins, and is well supported on both ends although if
needed, USB to serial translation always seems to cause more problems
than it solves.

I do not remember now where I saw it but many years ago, I ran across
an RS-232 type of interface where the first edge of the start bit was
used as the high precision timing reference for the following message.
I am not sure of the exact details but as I recall, the UART had some
external glue logic and maybe a synchronous clock so the start bit
edge was aligned to the timing reference to within the inherent jitter
of the glue logic without any clock uncertainty.  The receiver had a
standard UART with a parallel low jitter logic path to watch for the
start bit.