[time-nuts] GPS splitter measurements

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Oct 11 23:36:22 UTC 2012

On 10/12/2012 01:15 AM, Azelio Boriani wrote:
> To test this kind of items, you have to play with DC-blocks and bias-tees.
> Rather tedious but necessary. I know as at times I have to test
> questionable GPS antennae that return after lightning strikes.

I did check that the supplied voltages is within spec for the E5071
network analyzer being used. Don't recall if it is a A or B model.
Built-in DC blockers helps. Applying DC power on spare port.

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 1:09 AM, paul swed<paulswedb at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Magnus what would the possibility be of measuring an 8 way satellite
>> splitter? The $7 wonders with dc pass through. That looks like a very nice
>> network analyzer you have.

As I didn't have one at hand, it didn't get measured. I hope I inspire
people to measure things. Learn from what I did right and what I did wrong.

It's not my personal one, it's the one at work. Wish I had one in my
private lab. 300 kHz to 8.5 GHz, 4 ports and lots of software goodies.
Was the most modern network analyzer when we bought it, I had a
shoot-out between Agilent, R&S and Anritsu. Hidden in the back of menues
is the capability of doing balanced measurements. Very handy as we
needed it badly for what we where doing.

A good TDR and a good network analyzer should always be at hand!
Similarly goes for a good scope and a good spectrum analyzer.
Had a really good scope get's it's as kicked by an HP5372A today, which
still pulls some good tricks.

Cheers,
Magnus