[time-nuts] RasberryPi, timing and GPS receivers

xaos at darksmile.net xaos at darksmile.net
Tue Oct 16 22:06:41 EDT 2012


Err... I meant packs of cigarettes
NOT cartons :)

Quoting xaos at darksmile.net:

> The miniITX mobos are quite impressive.
> There is no argument there.
>
> However, My simple idea was this:
>
> Since I want to keep time at 3 separate locations
> and wanted stratum 1 NTP, I didn't want overkill.
>
> Actually my reason for 3 different locations is simple:
> Internet is flakey some places and sometimes just down.
> I'd like to have correct time no matter what
> happens to the internet.
>
> The other thing I want to do is create a very small footprint
> NTP server that basically looks like 3-4 cartons of
> cigarettes stacked on top of each other.
>
> Maybe even have the power supply on the bottom
> of the stack.
>
> I don't know if I'll be able to do this
> but this is the general idea.
>
> I think maybe something like this:
>
> GPS Receiver + antenna connector
> -----------------------------------
> Interface board
> -----------------------------------
> CPU main board
> -----------------------------------
> Shield board (mostly ground plane)
> -----------------------------------
> Power supply
> -----------------------------------
>
> If I could put this in a nice aluminum
> case I think it would look beautiful.
>
> -G
>
> Quoting Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>> One does NOT need a dedicated server for NTP.  NTP can run on a  
>>>> linux system
>>>> that is also a web and mail server or on e  linux desktop system that you
>>>> use for web surfing and web browse ring, just as long as the box stays
>>>> running and you don't turn it off.
>>>
>>> It's been discussed before, but probably worth repeating.
>>>
>>> Don't overlook the cost of power.  If you have an old power-hungry CPU that
>>> you use for mail and web, leaving it on all the time can cost a lot.
>>
>> Yes.  You are right.  that is why I posted a like to this
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121442
>> this board uses very little power and as you say will pay for itself
>> quickly.  You can reast your hand of the heat sink and notice there is
>> no fan.  It uses just a few watts. and can run VMware, and multiple
>> servers
>>
>>
>>> The
>>> payoff time for replacing it with a low power system can be as low  
>>> as a year
>>> or two.
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts at febo.com
>>> To unsubscribe, go to  
>>> https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
>>> and follow the instructions there.
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Chris Albertson
>> Redondo Beach, California
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts at febo.com
>> To unsubscribe, go to  
>> https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
>> and follow the instructions there.
>>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> time-nuts mailing list -- time-nuts at febo.com
> To unsubscribe, go to https://www.febo.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts
> and follow the instructions there.
>







More information about the time-nuts mailing list