[time-nuts] Followup (still want a GPS-type NTP refclock)

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 16:31:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 12:50 AM, Sarah White <kuzetsa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi again everyone :)
>
> Originally I was hoping for a thunderbolt. The control / diagnostic
> software looked cool, but I couldn't afford the pricetag on one.
>
> ...Here's my followup now:
>
> Determined I'd love to get my hands on an iLotus m12m.
> That's just a statement. My heart is set on getting this.
>
> Would it be possible to find a kit (new, used or otherwise) with:
>
> 1) iLotus M12M timing mode GPS (serial port version)
> 2) Aprox 10 meter antenna cable with apropriate connector(s)
> 3) active antenna which can handle being 10 meters from the module
> 4) power supply for above list, and much needed luck, all for under
> $100 US

Just over $100.  the M12M is about $60 new.  If you call up and say
you are a hobbyist and heard about it on this list.
Buy a timing antenna on eBay for about $30
You can use 30 meters of cable TV wire and some N to F adaptors
You can power it all with a salvaged power cube.
Then you'd need a mast for the antenna made with plumbing parts and
misc hardware and a box for the electronics.   Maybe $130 if you were
carful

But if you are really worried about cost buy an older Oncore.  The new
m12m is only slightly better then the older m12+T that sells on eBay
for $35.  The two are nearly identical.  (See item # 290656401551)
then see item # 270881742870 for an antenna   You'd be just under $100
if you went this route.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California