[time-nuts] Followup (still want a GPS-type NTP refclock)

Sarah White kuzetsa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 23:48:22 UTC 2012

On 10/17/2012 6:04 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
((...snip...)) -- 1
> Indoor antennas can work.  It depands on the details.  Hopefully
> the skylight looks to the south.  BTW that thin sheet of plastic
> that makes the skylight window will not protect from lightening.
> It makes little difference.
((...snip...)) -- 2
> It means those "plug-in" power suply boxes that plug into a wall
> outlet and have a coaxial power plug.  They are use to power cell
> phone charges and notebook computers and you name it.   Most
> people have many of those around the hose.  The output voltage will
> be printed in the cube

(part 1)

This is a glass skylight window, not plastic.

Also, the skylight window in question is not the highest point on the
roof, there is a domed metal cover on an exhaust fan vent thingy...
Regardless though, landlord won't allow things to go on roof or in the
yard so I'm stuck with using the window.

... Basically, this way I won't have to consider any waterproofing for
the antenna, and just hope that if lightning strikes it goes for the
exhaust vent dome thingy instead... Ah well whatever. My plan remains
unchanged in this regard --- it is going to be in one of the
south-facing (roof is angled) skylight windows.

(part 2)

For phone chargers... Not lately, no. Both my phone, and the person
I'm living with Have a modern phone. For the past couple years, phone
device manufacturers give you a very tiny USB-type AC adapter which
you use to plug a USB micro micro directly into the wall. They're cute :)

As for notebook computers, both mine and that of the person I live
with have the modern style (and they output 12 and 19.5 volt respectively)

Basically I'd have to go looking at the local thrift store to find
older hardware as you described... But...

I don't exactly want to sit around tinkering with my soldering iron (a
friend gave it to me. her roommate left a bunch of crap and it
would've just gone to the landfill otherwise) and/or a multimeter of
some sort (which I don't own)

...Also, most weather conditions, and/or for most hours of the day
(subject to position for the GPS constellation period(s) or whatever)
I'm still able to get a good signal and clear view for at least 5-6
distinct PRNs out of this south-ish (angled roof) skylight window.

And that's with a $6 navigation GPS thingy (USB puck-type NMEA-only)

That's navigation... Timing mode only needs "1 satellite lock" after
all, and I suspect I will at minimum be able to get needed "1
satellite lock" with nearly any active GPS antenna.

((digitally signed))
Sarah White