[time-nuts] Followup (still want a GPS-type NTP refclock)

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Oct 18 17:20:20 UTC 2012

Let the GPS average the antenna position over a very long time.

On a good GPSDO one can select the number of averages, and the position
variance before the survey is finished, and the (now very precise) position is
 stored in memory.

Indoors this may take a very long time to do (weeks?), but should work too.
 The problem indoors is multi path, one never knows where the signal is
coming  from that is seen. Setting up signal squelch in the GPS really helps
with that,  for example the C/No could be set to a minimum of 35dB, and
anything below that  is ignored so only the strongest signals are used.

We made a customer's urban solution work that way, it effectively  deleted
all the multipath issues he had from adjacent high-rises, since the
multipath signal strengths yielded about 20 to 28dB C/No and were thus all
squelched, whereas the direct signals were 35 to 50dB C/No.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 10/18/2012 08:26:07 Pacific Daylight Time,