[time-nuts] Are serial port headers standardized?

Sarah White kuzetsa at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 06:05:04 UTC 2012

I've done enough reading to know that continuing to use this navigation
(NOT timing mode) GPS is not an option.

Initially, I was pleased to find out that the old RS232 (serial) <--->
USB adapter I pulled out of storage uses the same prolific 2303
USB-serial driver

... At least at first I was.

Supposedly, normal serial ports have less trouble with latency than
anything done over USB. I definitely have an annoying 590 (ish)
millisecond delay when using the NMEA driver on my NTP daemon, and
basically, it shouldn't ever be necessary to use the "fudge" times if
you're doing things right.

None of that is a question.

I just feel foolish for nearly putting a nicer (timing mode) GPS on a
USB <--> serial adapter.

So I was looking at my motherboard manual, and realized something:

(( QUOTE ))
COM1 (Optional)
The motherboard kit provides an additional serial COM header for your
machine. Connect one side of a switching cable to the header and then
attach the serial COM device to the other side of the cable.
(( END QUOTE ))

Do what with my what? err...

http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/122-ck-nf63.pdf

Page 15, there is a yellow "10" (9) pin header, and page 26 was what I
quoted. Really wish there was more information... I've had this
motherboard for something like 5 years at this point, and am fairly
certain I lost or outright tossed the "serial port" headers.

Are they fairly standard?

Will this work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158115

... That's my only real question. What nonsense were they referring to?

"Connect one side of a switching cable to the header and then attach the
serial COM device to the other side of the cable."

"switching cable" ???? Like I said: "Do what with my what?"

Thanks everyone,
Sarah