[time-nuts] Are serial port headers standardized?

Peter Bell bell.peter at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 06:33:10 UTC 2012

If it's one of those 10-pin 0.1" pitch IDC headers with only 9 pins
installed then the vast majority of them have the same pinout - which
is designed to match with a 9-pin D-type connector using a straight
cable.  If you have access to a meter then a quick confidence check is
to verify that the pin that's on it's own next to the missing one is
connected to ground.  Another test is to use a terminal emulation
program (something like teraterm)  set up with flow control disabled
and no local echo and check for an echo if you jumper the serial in
and out pins.

      o  <- This pin should be ground
 o   o
 o   o <- Serial out