[time-nuts] Are serial port headers standardized?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 00:40:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM, Sarah White <kuzetsa at gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158115
>
> ... That's my only real question. What nonsense were they referring to?
>
> "Connect one side of a switching cable to the header and then attach the
> serial COM device to the other side of the cable."
>
> "switching cable" ???? Like I said: "Do what with my what?"

The are mostly standard.  The have to be if they use insulation
displacement cables.  The wires are all in parallel and don't swap
around inside a flat actable.  But there is the odd chane of "off by
one" or "even vs. odd" problems so the best way is to read the mother
board mmanual and then find the manual from the serial card.  YES you
can find the serial card manual if you send enough time hunting the
newegg or web site r google.   For $4 you can afford to gamble and I'd
say you have a 80% chance of it working.   Those flat cable make it
hard to be wrong.

Worst case is you buy some jumper cable with make pines on one and and
female on the other and patch it together.  It willl look ugly but
still work

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California