[time-nuts] Adjusting HP 5065A frequency

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Oct 21 15:58:45 UTC 2012

Hi Edgardo --

One slightly frustrating thing about the 5065A is that its frequency settability isn't as good as its short term stability.  I believe the manual says that the small divisions on the C-field counter dial are 2x10e12, and it's hard to set closer than that.

A good 5065A is a remarkable piece of gear, with medium term stability over, say, 1K to 100K seconds that is very hard to beat by anything other than a maser.  As best I can measure mine against a number of other sources (no maser here, sigh), it is around 1e13, maybe a bit better, over that range.  That's an order of magnitude better than any of the telco Rbs.

This is just a guess, but from some data that tvb and others have reported, I suspect that external tempco is the main limiter for medium term stability in the 5065A.  It would be interesting to see one in a temperature-controlled environment vs. one that's not.

John