[time-nuts] Timing performance of servers

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Oct 24 22:47:36 UTC 2012

Fellow time-nuts,

When spending time on a conference last week, I heard one interesting
comment that they lost data due to bad timing on their Windows servers.

Now, I know that the standard Windows uses SNTP in order to achieve the
goal of having the timing of the machines sufficiently aligned to allow
Kerberos authentication. SNTP suffice for that, as it needs to be a
handful of minutes in line.

If you need better performance than that, you should use NTP (and then
download and install Meinbergs Windows-client for NTP).

Then again, I would point out that for this type of data, it would most
probably be better served on a Linux box.

What should be a nice wake-up call for them would be a summation of how
different strategies would give them clock precision of sufficient
grade. So, does anyone know of such measurements presented anywhere?

There are bits and pieces, but the ideal for this case would be if they
where collected in one page/paper.

This is an awareness thing, so that people can do a little more
well-informed choices.

Cheers,
Magnus