[time-nuts] Adjusting HP 5065A frequency

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu Oct 25 12:31:10 UTC 2012

Hi

If you have a divide that's "inside" the range of the DAC, there are no
nasty spurs (just DAC spurs). Once you are outside that range, there's a
stepped triangle wave modulating the carrier. You get all the sidebands that
you would expect from that very low frequency modulation. If the DAC is less
than perfect it will toss in it's own "helpful stuff" as well.

It's not quite that simple of course. You have a dac width, a sine lookup
table size / resolution and a phase accumulator width. You can also dither
things. The stuff above will at least get you pointed in the right
direction.

Bob