[time-nuts] Timing performance of servers

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Oct 27 20:37:38 UTC 2012

On 10/27/2012 09:06 PM, Sarah White wrote:
> Sorry to post such a long thing on the subject. Most of the work I do
> with accurate time involves network synchronization.
>
> Really, the NTP / SNTP protocol isn't nearly as high performance as
> "Precision time protocol" --- PTP is the latest technology to come out
> of the "network time foundation", and NTP protocol has simply been
> around longer and as such, it is better known:
>
> http://networktimefoundation.org/projects/

The reason for this thread was not to necessarily get the best possible
time, but to get away from severely affected time that was causing the
dataloss issues.

The one flaw that NTP has that motivated PTP was lack of hardware
time-stamps. There are those that have implemented hardware
time-stamping to NTP.

It's unfortunate to compare NTP and PTP when it should be comparing
software time-stamping and hardware time-stamping.

Cheers,
Magnus