[time-nuts] Zeeman frequency oddness

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sun Oct 28 05:25:41 UTC 2012

Magnus Danielson wrote:
> On 10/28/2012 01:13 AM, Chuck Harris wrote:
>> Two things come to mind:
>>
>> 1) is this the high performance tube? Perhaps it has a different
>> Zeeman frequency than the standard tube?
>> 2) a non HP replacement tube? FTS Cs beam tubes are way different
>> Zeeman frequencies than HP.
>
> A high performance tube should give you better signal to noise.
>
> A non HP tube might give you a somewhat different C-field setting for same center
> lock-in.

The FTS tubes in my 4050 have a Zeeman frequency of around 43KHz, which if
my estimate is right is about 10KHz different from the HP Zeeman frequency
of around 53KHz.  And as I recall, the little HP submarine C-Beam has yet
another Zeeman frequency, but I can't dig up its manual at the moment.

AFAIK, the Zeeman frequency is very much dependent on the architecture of
the particular physics package.

-Chuck Harris