[time-nuts] oscillators

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Sat Sep 1 15:32:58 UTC 2012

Hi

Observing a curve and being able to compensate it are often two different things. Hysteresis is one very obvious example. Another is simple sensor lag. A some what less obvious one is that the temperature performance is also influenced by the rate of change in temperature.

Here's another thing to consider:

If your crystal is running 3 ppm / C, and you are after 3.0 x 10^-11 stability at one second - You will need to either have a rate of change at ~ 1x10^-5 C/sec (0.6 mC / min) or you will need to compensate for some pretty small changes. That of course makes a bunch of assumptions ….

Bob