[time-nuts] 60 Hz line quirks, anybody recognize this stuff?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 3 21:49:54 UTC 2012

>>> http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/2012-Aug-09-a-pick.png
>>> http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/2012-Aug-09-a0.png

>>> http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/2012-Sep-01-b0.png
>>> http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/2012-Sep-01-c0.png
>>> http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/2012-Sep-01-d0.png
>>> http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/time-nuts/line/2012-Sep-01-e0.png
>>>

>> Hal:
>>
>> Two ideas:
>>
>> 1.) You could have some process in Windows that is causing aperiodic
>> blocking of the OS's ability to process real time data.  Can be many,
>> many causes.
>
> Hmmm - but wouldn't that result in missing samples and an abrupt phase jump?
> The waveforms reported appear phase continuous (right number of samples) but the
> sample values are somehow forced to a constant value.  I would guess that the
> waveform being sampled actually looks like that.

Indeed. What I was stroked by was the repetitive levels and their
tendency (except for one case) to strive towards zero with a small
slope. For me the source is in the analogue domain rather than digital
domain. Phase continuity and restoration of phase rather implies
disturbance of the analogue signal, and the fault behaviour looks like
some form of intermittent glitch and discharge mechanism. Try to see if
you can find some intermittent part of the design.

Cheers,
Magnus