[time-nuts] New wrist Watch

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 16:13:24 UTC 2012

> Since the determining factor in the accuracy of a wrist watch these days
> is you reaction time in setting it to the announcements on WWV,
> I'd go to Walmart or Target and find something cheap.

In a way it is sad.  But that is what I did.  Bought a $16 watch at target.
Then I compare the watch to a local NTP server and they track each
other for days and days.

You can spend more on a watch but what you get for your money is a
nicer case, glass crystal, better waterproofing. In short a better
looking personal accessory.  I needed one because some times I'm out
hiking in the woods and the cell phone is out of coverage.  I normally
use the cell phone as a watch because (1) I have it anyways and (2) it
syncs to UTC better than my eyes can detect, likely about 50
milliseconds.   I've never seen even a high-end watch do that.

That said I want a driver's watch next.  I'd use it as a backup to the
dive computer so 200M depth and rotating bezel are a must.  These seem
to be in your price range and are very practical but large and heavy
and they all seem to be well made, they have to be to get the 200
meter rating.

If you need accuracy don't bother with a watch, get a phone.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California