[time-nuts] HP10514B Mixer Terminations

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Mon Sep 10 07:20:15 UTC 2012

On 09/ 9/12 09:03 PM, Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> For this particular application a capacitive termination (NIST used such
> a termination in their DMTDs) of the IF port followed by a low pass
> filter is advantageous.
> For precision work screw connectors (SMA, TNC, N etc) are more stable
> than bayonet connectors like the BNC.
>
> Bruce

I'd agree with Bruce there. I'd chose SMA or N any day over BNC.

My favorite connector is APC-7, but you don't see that except on high-end test
equipment, and even there it is being phased out in preference to 3.5 mm, which
will mate with SMA - although care is needed if mating 3.5 mm to SMA.

The only issue with SMA is that you ideally need a torque wrench to tighten them
properly. If you don't have one, hand-tight plus 25% of a turn will get you
somewhere around the right torque, but I always use a torque wrench myself for
permanent connections or temporary ones at microwave frequencies.

Dave

> J. Forster wrote:
>> Most all of this kinda stuff is built using 50 Ohm 'building blocks'. You
>> can almost plug them together like Legos.
>>
>> The HP 10514A is no different:
>>
>> http://www.ko4bb.com/Manuals/HP_Agilent/HP_10514_Mixer_Jan_1967.pdf
>>
>> Mini-Circuits (among others) sells loads of different wsuch components.
>>
>> Your biggest choice may be the connector style. BNC and SMA are very
>> common. If size/weight are not a consideration go BNC.
>>
>> -John
>>
>> ===========
>>

>>> Hello Brian,
>>> I am a radio amateur and and also in the Time nuts list, At
>>> the moment I am planning to bild a DMTD for experimentation.
>>> and as you have a nice experience in this field , for me will
>>> be very wellcame your help. My ask is ¿whitch is te best
>>> temination for the mixer? (FI 10Hz or 100Hz) ¿what about the
>>> amp, limiters and zero crosing detec.)
>>> All your help will be appreciated
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Pascual Arbona EA5JF