[time-nuts] Subject: Be aware of test equipment seller orzel-enterprises on eBay

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Tue Sep 11 00:47:36 UTC 2012

On 11 September 2012 01:19, Gregory Muir <engineering at mt.net> wrote:
> After sustaining a couple of damage incidents from things like this, I quickly started emailing a boilerplate clause after paying for the item stating how I wanted the item packed including types of packing and minimum clearances.  I always asked for double boxing with at least 3 to 4 inches of dense material between boxes for the more heavier items.  Packing requirements varied for the size, weight and type of items.  And I was surprised how the sellers would work hard to meet those requirements.

That sounds a good idea.

> In a few instances where items weighed upwards of 100 lbs, I would obtain dimensions of the item(s) being sent, create a cardboard mockup of approximately the size and profile of the item, have my own container foamed-in-place at a local "friendly" company shipping department (paid them a few $$$) and send that container to the seller to use to ship the item to me.

Another good idea!

> Now, after over 700 purchases on eBay, I can safely say that I have only received less than ten or so items that contained some form  of damage.

I've not has as many transactions has you (about 250 in my case), but
I think this is the first where any damage has occured in shipping.
I've had numerous items poorly packed, but more by luck than anything
else, they have survied.

I've had hard-drives stuck in jiffy bags, so they drop on the flaw
when the post lady puts them in the door.

I think the issues I have here are:

1) The item was expensive ($2750)
2) The item was heavy (60 lbs)
3) Despite what I think is obviously the sellers fault, he seems to
want to get away with paying out as little as possible. (Personally,
if I realized I'd messed up, I would not expect someone else to pay
for my mistakes. He does not have such an attitude).

I don't know the US law, but I'm very tempted to try to report him for
lying about the value of the item he exported. I'm not sure if that
sort of thing is taken seriously in the USA.

Dave