[time-nuts] Be aware of test equipment seller orzel-enterprises oneBay

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Tue Sep 11 12:17:34 UTC 2012

On 11 September 2012 12:29, jim s <jws at jwsss.com> wrote:
> A friend has been off Ebay because he was nearly beside himself after doing
> the same as you specify here for a beautiful Burroughs glass sided
> calculator.  It arrived in an manner nearly identical to the one in David's
> package.
>
> The vendor claimed no liability to do what he took money for and refused to
> deal with it.  It is hard to do anything to vendors that will get thru to
> them if Epay won't force them to perform with a special requirement with
> consequences to enforce these after buy agreements.

I  think it is wrong that eBay don't force sellers to pay shipping
costs both ways if a seller makes a mistake.

If a buyer changes his mind, he will usually have to pay shipping both ways.

I say "usually", because under the Distance Seller Regulations in the
UK, if an individual (non-business) buys an item at a fixed price from
a business, and they get it and don't like it, the seller is legally
obliged to pay the shipping both ways. Most sellers will try to riggle
out of this, but they are obligied to pay. John Lewis is one store
which openly advertises they will do it, but many have exclusions
which are legally uninforcable.

I believe auctions are not covered by the distance seller regulations,
although I'm not 100% sure.

Personally, if I get something and don't like it, I don't think it's
unreasonable I pay the shipping charges unless an item has been
mis-described, or like this, damaged due to negligence.

Dave.