[time-nuts] Be aware of test equipment seller orzel-enterprises oneBay

Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
Tue Sep 11 21:45:06 UTC 2012

   It all works in UPS's favor.  Larger, more robust packaging adds to
   weight and dimensional charges.  The incentives are all there for them
   to be as rough as they can get away with.  Why take extra care and go
   slower when you just blame the customer, and win by getting more money
   in the process?
   I appreciate the problem of improperly packaged goods, just pointing
   out the financial incentive angle.
   I once sold a receiver and shipped it UPS.  I used multiple wraps of
   heavy bubble wrap in a box, then that weird military cushioning which
   is like scouring pads, inside a double walled outer box.  You could
   drop this thing 20 feet.  But it didn't survive being run over by a
   truck!  Tire marks and all.  UPS denied the claim because the inside
   box was previously used, even though not shipped, it had labels from my
   company, and they defined that as used.  So yeah I got myself a bad
   attitude towards them.
   Peter
   Sep 11, 2012 05:15:48 PM, jwsmail at jwsss.com wrote:

     On 9/11/2012 8:37 AM, Gregory Muir wrote:
     > If you have a chance, you should visit one of the UPS shipping
     test labs where customers are supposed to take their prototype
     packaging to have it tested to see if it will stand up to the rigors
     of UPS shipping. Your jaw will drop when you see what they put the
     packages through.

     > Greg
     I worked on a project for MPI which was the tape division of Control
     Data on the Sentinel tape drive, which was an 8" form factor quarter
     inch cartridge drive. About the size of an 8" floppy.
     Part of the entire engineering project which had to pass
     successfully as
     much as moving tape and transferring data was a mandatory 3 point
     UPS
     test. You had to send the package out of Valley Forge, Pa, to the
     Bay
     area, to Atlanta, and back to Valley Forge, and at the end of the
     trip
     pass what they called DVT.
     It took them two tries to get the packaging to survive the UPS test.
     They had a very nice, easy to open but rugged structure inside with
     braces on parts that had to be removed before operation (motor was
     heavy
     enough to have broken on one pass). and then it was suspended in a
     hard
     foam floating arrangement in an outer tri wall box. They really
     wanted
     you to save the container if you had to reship It.
     Jim