[time-nuts] OT: Packing and shipping of test equipment

Geoffrey Smith geoffsmithoz at tpg.com.au
Wed Sep 12 01:45:42 UTC 2012

Folks,

Following the Peter Gottlieb post, it seems that a number of list members
have been "victims" of carriers that mishandled badly packed gear.  I now
too often the heart ache of a broken handles and the handle through the box
wall, not to mention that rattling sound as a something rolls around in the
cabinet.

May I suggest that we pool our ideas on minimum packing requirements to be
posted as an article on say "ebay".    Simple thing like no loose beans,
bubble wrap size for instrument weight, box wall thickness, preparedness to
pay for better packing ( there is no free lunch) etc.   Forget insurance,
bad packing voids most policies and who can value the loss anyway.

There may be appropriate MIL standards?  May be even a feedback score on
ebay if we all ask for it?

I notice that the experienced sellers can still pack test equipment with
recycled packaging and get the items from Europe, USA and Asia in the
condition it was advertised.  Conversely I also note that the newer ebay
list-ers are more likely to have packing problems.
Regards
Geoffrey Smith
Mobile: 0412 299 922
E-Mail  geoffsmithoz at tpg.com.au