[time-nuts] RE; New Wrist watch

John Lofgren jlofgren at lsr.com
Wed Sep 12 13:32:54 UTC 2012

Unfortunately I don't have that article, anymore, but I remember the basics from it.  The author used one of the Radio Shack piezo sounder elements as the pickup.  It was one of the 3 wire styles designed for an external oscillator circuit.  I think it might have been around 1 cm diameter.

The part I can't remember is the amplifier.  It could have been a PLL or may have just been a high gain video amplifier, like the MC1350.

Anyway, if somebody wants to look for the article it was somewhere in the 1985 to 1995 timeframe.

There are also commercial tools from Horotec and others built for this purpose.  Just google "watch tester" and you'll find a host of products.

-John