[time-nuts] GPSDO control loops and correcting quantization error

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 18:52:21 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 11:21 AM, Michael Tharp
<gxti at partiallystapled.com> wrote:

> Finally, do people think a 16 bit DAC is adequate or should I consider
> building a 32-bit one? I looked at a few designs when putting this together
> but decided to keep it simple until things were up and running.

Having a 32-bit DAC would give you enough range so that you could drop
in any OCXO you might have.  But if you can have trimmer resisters to
selected for your specif OCXO then 16-bits should be enough.   If it
were me, I'd want the DAC steps to be smaller than what the phase
detector can measure.     Said another way a 32-bit DAC might
eliminate the need for scale and offset trimmer resistors.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California