[time-nuts] GPSDO control loops and correcting quantizationerror

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Sep 16 19:39:58 UTC 2012

In message <2DEA9396-95EB-4092-A443-A72350CC1D19 at rtty.us>, Bob Camp writes:

>The basic assumption is that this is a lab gizmo and that there
>is indeed a static adev (or very low frequency phase noise) plot
>for the OCXO (or Rb).

Bob,

I think this is where the premier-league differs from the
amateurs-leagues in the time-nuts competition :-)

I suspect that the majority of GPSDO's on this mailinglists do
not have access to a independent frequency standard good enough to
make that measurement, much less a temperature controlled environment.

Yes, in a lab environment, you can measure and adjust it once and
for all, or at least once for every few years.

The rest of us may find it easier to have a PLL that auto-optimizes
so that we don't have to waste our limited time-nut time on
recalibrating our house-standard.