[time-nuts] Z3801 Replacement GPS Receiver Card

Azelio Boriani azelio.boriani at screen.it
Mon Sep 17 22:00:45 UTC 2012

OK, you can test a VP Oncore GPS receiver alone if you have a mean to
translate the TTL serial port to a regular RS232 for the PC. This can be
done with a MAX232 chip (or equivalent). Then the pinout (refer to the
engineering notes previously mentioned, page 9): pin 2 and pin 3 are the
main power supply (2: +5B and 3 GND) and the serial port pins are pin 8 TX
and pin 9 RX. The TX pin must be routed to the TTL to RS232 translator and
then to the RX of the PC (pin 2 if a DB9 is used or pin 3 if a DB25 is
used). Pin 9 comes from the translator and from the PC TX pin (pin 3 DB9 or
pin 2 DB25). The WinOncore software can be used to test the receiver. Don't
forget to connect an external (that is on the roof)  GPS antenna and
prepare your 'scope for the PPS on pin 6. The PPS should be pretty visible
as it is 200mS long (see page 7).