[time-nuts] 100 watt & higher LED power supply...

Tom Knox actast at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 18 15:34:59 UTC 2012

Hi Paul;
I started thinking about this project because we are installing a new EMC room at work and thought we could use totally eliminate lighting as a noise source with LED lighting. Allowing lighting during even the most precise measurements. While researching I ran across some amazing items on eBay out of China.
I was talking about these raw chip arrays in which a 100watts means it consumes 100watts like 400-800watt in conventional incandescent light. The LED's are also more directional so in a number of applications the seem Lumen output may produce more LUX where needed. Light Temp is another big deal. In all these products their claimed ratings and actual ratings can very different. I prefer actual wattage since it seems the most accurate rating, but it took some time to understand the different efficiencies between product type. I will most likely go with a larger number of lower wattage arrays, and mix and match color temp to taste. My ultimate goal is to greatly improve my current lighting to make up for my aging eyes while at the same time lower lab noise. I also hope the increased efficiency will help with temperature stability around the lab while saving energy. Last, I was hoping to do it for about the price of replacement bulbs in my current lighting.

Thomas Knox