[time-nuts] PLL behavior

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Tue Sep 18 15:39:22 UTC 2012

won't it depend almost entirely on the charge pump filter?
Don

Jim Lux
> I'm looking for info on behavior of a PLL (with VCXO) when the reference
> comes and goes periodically. When the reference is gone, the PLL will
> "flywheel" according to whatever the loop filter does. (we can turn off
> the "input" to the filter, so we're not trying to track noise)..
>
> What I'm particularly interested in is the behavior in the PLL when the
> reference returns.
>
> The overall situation is where we are trying to make a frequency/phase
> measurement over 10-100 seconds, where the reference has a 50% duty
> cycle, and is on for a second, off for a second.
>

> I can fairly simply model this, or just try it, but I'm looking for some
> references to an analytical approach.

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road