[time-nuts] Hi Power LED Light power supply...

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 18 23:44:31 UTC 2012

On 9/18/12 10:57 AM, Tom Knox wrote:

> I remember reading that Hollywood played with faster frame rates and found a substantial number of people experience motion sickness.

Not so much the frame rate, but generating imagery that isn't "realistic"..

your eye expects motion blur (particularly in projected images), and if
you project a series of very sharp frames with lots of depth of field,
it confuses your brain, because it's trying to process out the motion,
but the cues are a little bit off.

One cause of motion sickness, for that matter, is where the image your
eye sees doesn't match the signals from the vestibular canals.

  The original Star Tours at Disneyland was quite noticeable for this,
because it used a lot of rotation movements (which shift the local G
vector) to simulate acceleration since it had limited travel on the
motion base.  i.e. if you keep the forward view constant and showing an
acceleration, and tilt your chair back, the force pushing you back into
the chair matches what you'd expect from the visual cue, except for the
rotation.  Some people didn't get affected much, others did (it made me
quite nauseous, while a standard roller coaster doesn't).

And images that move with a lag relative to your head motion are
notorious (early 3 D graphics goggle displays with a Polhemus head
position sensor..)