[time-nuts] PLL behavior

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Sep 19 22:35:01 UTC 2012

On 09/19/2012 10:08 AM, Azelio Boriani wrote:
> In my opinion you fall in the case of disciplining with holdover... this is
> more like a disciplined oscillator (like a GPSDO) problem than a PLL.

It is indeed very similar, However, a second of hold-over isn't all that
hard, but one has to be careful to have sufficient of frequency
resolution in the DAC (which can be interpolating). There are some
tricks of trades to be done to achieve good hold-over performance on the
short term.

ADEV isn't a very good way of characterizing this type of behaviour, but
it could be plotted as well.

MTIE is a better tool, as this is a systematic effect, which MTIE is
designed to model.

However, there is no such thing as spending quality time glaring on the
TE of the behaviour.

Cheers,
Magnus