[time-nuts] WWVB PM Receiver

Gregory Muir engineering at mt.net
Wed Sep 26 03:49:36 UTC 2012

I have had a neat little WWVB receiver hanging around the lab that was made by a now defunct company called Elemek out of East Syracuse, New York.  It was manufactured in 1979 and consists of a handful of discrete components for the RF front end followed by simple CMOS logic and a few analog op amps to provide a buffered 60 kHz carrier output, a 100 kHz square wave phase locked to the WWVB carrier plus demodulated WWVB time code.

The whole unit is about the size of a loaf of bread and requires 12V at 30 mA for operation.  It is quite an interesting design.

This company was in the business of contract development and design services.  They did some unusual work in the form of an electronic stencil maker, the world's first electronic ski binding (!) and a work crew availability status system.  I think I see why they disappeared.

Greg