[time-nuts] WWVB Response

John Lowe lowe at boulder.nist.gov
Wed Sep 26 18:29:10 UTC 2012

Dear Time-Nuts Forum,

In an attempt to quiet the discussion that has started, I will take the
unusual step and address this forum.

NIST is providing full disclosure of the WWVB PM format.  There are no
hidden bits or protocols.  We will continue to be entirely forthcoming
with the WWVB broadcast both in its content and its schedule.  All
information is available and will continue to be available at:

http://www.nist.gov/pml/div688/grp40/wwvb.cfm

NIST has never been in the business of developing, designing or
producing receiver designs.  We provide the format and allow our users
to create designs as they see fit.  Individuals are invited to design
receivers based on the format provided.

We have taken great care to preserve the existing AM format of the WWVB
transmission.  We expect the vast majority of AM envelope-type receivers
will continue to operate as designed and will detect the Time-of-Day.
Unfortunately, there are devices out there that detected the phase of
the carrier through a Phase-Locked-Loop. These devices will no longer
function as designed.  There are methods of creating an interface to
recover the signal for these devices, some of which have been discussed
and presented in this forum.  It is an unfortunate consequence of
improving the reception capability of our broadcast that this segment of
our loyal user base are so adversely affected.  The decision to proceed
was not taken lightly, but in the end it was decided that the
improvement in reception capability (especially along the JJY
interference prone East Coast) outweighed the loss of use of existing
PLL devices.

It should be noted that the carrier-phase information is still there and
will provide the same level of reference calibration capability as it
always has, it just must be extracted in a new way.  Maybe this change
will prompt a commercial enterprise to develop a new WWVB frequency
reference device as there has been no commercially produced frequency
reference devices manufactured or supported in some time.

I have given much effort in being available to answer questions and
provide information concerning this transition and I will continue to be
available to help.  I hope this response to this forum aids in that effort.

Regards,

John Lowe
WWVB Broadcast Manager
NIST Time and Frequency Division