[time-nuts] Low power timekeeping

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 19:41:54 UTC 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Jean-Louis Oneto
<Jean-Louis.Oneto at obs-azur.fr> wrote:
> Keeping a "GPSDWW" buried in a deep hole in ground make me feel like a
> graveyard, since the "wrist" should be buried as well...
> I'm not sure that even time-nuts need precise time in after-life?
> (Sorry, I didn't resist :-) )

Yes, I assume no one is in a hurry or would care if you are a century
of two late for a meeting.  Time is free in eternity.

But seriously I'm surprised not many people use deep holes in the
Earth like wells to get a stable temperature.  It is really not that
expensive and the stability can be very good, nearly perfect below a
given depth.    I'm about to fill a hole in the backyard with a
truckload of concrete and I'm thinking of putting in an iron pipe so
later I could drop in "something" that needs to run at a constant 58F
night and day.  I'mputting ina retaining wall and the only added cost
would be a pipe to provide acess to the bottom of the footing.  I
figure the thermal mass of many tons of concrete and soil must be,
well a lot.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California