[time-nuts] Lady Heather on a Laptop

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 15:22:45 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 8:00 AM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
> My I like your approach.
> Now I have to go see what all of this might cost.
> On vmware are you running esxi??
> Suspect the atoms are costly

No.  It cheap.  An Intel motherboard with an Atom CPU soldered down to
it (Atom does not use a socket) costs $90 at Amazon.com  Get the one
that has real RS232 ports on it if you want to run NTP server.  Also
look for the dual core (not quad core) that has not fan on the CPU
heat sink.  These are the ones that use the leat power.

Next you need RAM.  Then some kind of storage.  The best in terms of
power is a USB flash drive.  but a small notebook size drive uses very
little power.  gaet a very inexpensive older 80GB drive for $40 or so
 Then you need a chassis and power supply.   If you shop around you
can get in for under $200.   I putin 4GB of RAM.  But 2GB could work

Figure thecost of power at $0.21 per KWH and the $200 atom will pay
for itself in a year when compared to a larger desktop system.

I used Linux because the system also runs an NTP server, NTP works
poorly under Windows and I want to be able to host a web site with
data I collect and a few other things that Linux does well.  Plans are
for the Atom box to control an Rb  oscillator too. Even while running
VMware (the free version) and two operating systems and NTP and aweb
server the little 1.8GHz dual core Atom CPU is not close to over
loaded

> Regards
> Paul
> WB8TSL
>
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Chris Albertson <albertson.chris at gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> I have an Intel Atom powered box that runs Linux.  These Atom CPUs use
>> so little power they don't put fans on the CPU heat sinks.  I run
>> VMware on Linux and then Windows XP inside the virtual PC.  LH runs on
>> Windows in the virtual machine.  I have removed the monitor, keyboard
>> and mouse.  The entire setup uses about 5 or 6 watts of power
>>
>> If I want to see the LH display I can log into the linux system for
>> any other computer and have the screen exported.
>>
>> Chris Albertson
>> Redondo Beach, California

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California