[time-nuts] Lady Heather on a Laptop

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Thu Sep 27 15:52:29 UTC 2012

I use a dual core atom as a server. Be sure to read the user reviews on
Newegg regarding memory. If you try to stuff your Atom to the full
4gbytes, only certain sodimms work. You can use the smallest SSDs around
for this purpose. I built mine with an 80gBbyte intel.

I use win 7 pro 64 bit for software compatibility with certain programs,
but I would first see if Lady Heather runs under Wine if all you want to
do is run one program.

Atom PCs are about the easiest to build since you can skip the CPU and
heat sink mounting.

I'd look for those intel mobos that have the wide input voltage range.

Note an old notebook running 24 and 7 will eventually cost you about
what the atom system costs. Also, the nice thing about the atom is the
CPU clock isn't fiddled (unless that has changed). I hate all the power
saving features in notebook PCs.