[time-nuts] WWVB Receiver Comments

johncroos at aol.com johncroos at aol.com
Fri Sep 28 03:40:20 UTC 2012

For David - re WWVB carrier recovery.

On squaring vs absolute values for carrier recovery.  Never heard of
using absolute value.

As I said in my initial remarks - some perusal of the prior art is
helpful for this problem.
There are 70 years of literature on how to do this for any imaginable
purpose.
The squaring loop that I described and the Costas loop are classical
solutions. Both can
be made to work for this problem, though I prefer the former having
implemented it previously.
Same applies to narrow band tracking of weak signals. It is in the
literature.

This is not hard stuff nor is getting a GPS signal without the
neighbors finding out and
repeating the riot scene from "Young Frankenstein".

-73 john k6iql