[time-nuts] The best GPSDO ?

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri Sep 28 18:22:15 UTC 2012

Ulrich,

that depends on how good the particular unit is you happen to get your
hands on. TVB shows a more than 10x variation in performance on his  many
Z3801A units for example.

I recently got, and discussed on this list a 58503A unit from China
(modified Z3805A with 10811 Double Oven) which I find to be the best GPSDO I  have
ever tested (and I have tested a lot over the last 5+ years), and it's only
 a 6-channel unit.

In fact the only way I can test it's performance is to use a Wenzel
Sprinter with -172dBc noise floor for phase noise, and a BVA 8600 for ADEV
testing. But even then the unit's ADEV outperforms the BVA above a couple of 100
seconds, and I don't know if the ADEV floor I am measuring is my BVA or the
Z3805. It reports 800ns predicted drift over 24 hours. Others have
indicated that their Z380x units can achieve even better than that. On the  phase
noise plot, you will notice the Time Pod indicates we are measuring at  it's
noise floor between ~10Hz and ~400Hz.

Attached are those two PN and ADEV plots. You will note that this unit is
still out-performed by some of the Z3801A units that TVB tested, wish I had
one  of those.

So this Z3805A has the best ADEV AND Phase Noise that I have seen in one
single unit. Other GPSDO units I have tested may have better phase noise and
less spurs, OR better ADEV, but not both in one unit.

BTW: I would stay away from the Z3815A's they have quite bad spurs and
phase noise performance, and all the ones I have seen have jumping  crystals.

The Thunderbolts I have seen have 2x to 3x or worse ADEV, and at least 5dB
worse phase noise, and many more spurs.

So in summary, the question is probably not who makes the best GPSDO, the
question is how do you get your hands on the best particular sample  unit
out there.. and then how do you get the best reference  oscillator for phase
noise, and one for ADEV measurements.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 9/28/2012 01:19:23 Pacific Daylight Time,