[time-nuts] "Best" GPSDO

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Sep 29 17:21:02 UTC 2012

On 09/29/2012 06:19 PM, Tom Knox wrote:

> "Best" of course is such a vague question. Best For 5MHz today is a Cesium Fountain used periodicly to calibrate 6-12 Symmetricom 5071A option 004 disciplining 5-6 Symmetricom Hydrogen Masers  disciplining 5-6 Oscilloquartz 8607 option 08 BVA's.  I am a part owner in just such a system. Notice the system ends with quartz and I think therein lies the key. I am a big believer that for the best system find the best piece of quartz you budget can afford. On eBay I would currently I would argue that the Datum 1000B's for around 4-500USD is the way to go.  From my experience how you steer it and set up your GPS or other timing source is important but only a major factor if you do something wrong.

It's a little out of the hobby budget there.

If you don't happen to have a caesium fountain, 5071As, masers and loads
of 8607s, there is still a few things to pick up from this setup.

An atomic clock such as a rubidium can provide holdover and be quieter
than GPS, so you can allow your steering to have long time-constant.
Next, you might not have best wide-band phase-noise, so using a quality
oscillator to achieve that.

Then again, I can give you an address for those extra 5071As, masers,
8607s and odd caesium-fountain. :)

Cheers,
Magnus