[time-nuts] Changing FE-5650A frequency?

Herbert Poetzl herbert at 13thfloor.at
Sun Apr 7 14:10:05 UTC 2013

On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 11:27:23AM +0100, Alexander Wright wrote:
> On 07/04/13 05:01, WB6BNQ wrote:
>> Hi Alec,

>> You may be in luck.  However, I would need some additional pictures,
>> particularly
>> of the connector on the bottom, also some of the inside.

> Bill,

> Thanks for your reply! Here are some photos of the inside:
> http://m0tei.co.uk/fe5650pics/

> You'll see that it comes with a custom machined plate screwed
> onto the front - this was how it was mounted in the thing i
> pulled it out of. It can be removed but i found it easier to
> take the thing apart with it on. A thermostatic switch used to
> bolt onto it to (presumably) act as a thermal cutout.

The baseplate (2xLM2941, LP2952) basically is the power
supply/regulation, so nothing interesting there.

> You'll also notice that the boards we're probably interested
> in are potted it some sort of white compound - it's hard but
> crumbly - feels like some sort of polymer foam. I've started
> to pick it off a bit but could you just confirm that this is
> actually a sensible thing to do before I go all out scraping
> it off?

The purpose of the polymer foam is isolation to keep a
stable temperature throughout the boards.

http://www.qsl.net/z/zl1bpu/PROJ/FE5650-2.jpg

The top layer in this image is the DDS board, and it is
basically identical to the FE5680A, which means it can
be adjusted in a wide range, but only does digital synthesis
based on the reference frequency.

But let's see what Bill says to the pictures ... :)

best,
Herbert